Hits Last 30 Days

Tuesday 25 November 2008

West London and the West of England 23-24 Nov 2008 Part 1


My wife recently went over to France for a week, to see her mother. On such occasions, I can usually find an interesting area of England to go cycling in. “Quand le chat n’est pas là, les souris dansent”, I thought. I decided to concentrate my efforts on parts of Route 4. On Sunday I travelled down towards London. It rained hard most of the way but the forecast for the afternoon was better and, having planned this trip, I wasn’t giving up. I started my ride at Kew Bridge and stuck to the north bank of the Thames, past Brentford and the Grand Union Canal; Syon Park; Richmond Lock, which seemed to be a footbridge; Teddington Lock, which is impressively big and has a wonderful suspension footbridge; Hampton Wick from where I took the main road to Hampton Court, and got caught in a light shower. Much of this ride was over the Thames Path. I returned by NCN Route 4, hugging the river back to Hampton Wick again, where I crossed the Thames to Richmond town center; Richmond Park, where I took some of pics of deer – no rutting, but some locked horns; Barnes. It was dark by this time and I followed main roads from there to Kew Bridge. More showers! 44 km. I then drove to Bath youth hostel. They have a licenced bar there, by the way, and I recommend the locally brewed and bottled Wild Hare.

No comments: