Hits Last 30 Days

Thursday 20 November 2008

Wanderings in Worcestershire







A meeting in Great Malvern provided the neccesary excuse to take the bike and head off into Worcestershire. Last Wednesday was fine and the views from the upper reaches of the town are breathtaking on such a clear day. My route, which was unplanned, took me first to Upton-upon- Severn where I met 3 "Supervets". They were equipped with serious machinery - good quality lightweight frames with all the goodies and very skinny wheels and tyres. They had come, they told me, from Gloucester (via Pershore, about 35 miles) and were heading for a pub in Ledbury on a route which would have added another 30 miles, all before lunch. Keith would have fitted in well!!!
I carried on to Pershore, but not on the main road, where I had a snack lunch in one of the many small cafes. On the way I passed the folly in the first picture. It is not a ruined castle, although it is now referred to as Dunstall Castle, but was built like that in 1766 by the owners of the neighbouring estate - to impress the visitors, or scare off the marauders.
After Pershore I circumnavigated the eastern and southern sides of Bredon Hill. The second photo is of the "main road" through the village of Elmley Castle. Despite the give way signs, the road to the right goes only to a Church. The through route comes from the left from the Pershore direction and passes between the houses. The BMW has come from Beckford. School buses squeeze through the gap on their journey to and from the school at Ashton under Hill.
At Kemerton I turned south towards Ashchurch and,eventually, Cheltenham from where I took a train back to Derby.
The weather was superb for November, being warm enough for shorts and gloveless hands.

No comments: