Hits Last 30 Days

Thursday 2 October 2008

English Journey (concluded)


On 16 Sep I went to Kendal to ride NCR6 – yes, our Route 6! This goes all the way from London to Carlisle, which is more than the A6 trunk road can boast. I took this to Windermere (pic 1) in pouring rain, making frequent stops for cups of tea and shelter. The route uses mostly minor roads and was less hilly than I had expected. At Windermere the ferry had broken down (pic 2) so I decided to return to Kendal by an alternative route, via a gated road from Bowness to Ings, passing along a quiet, scenic road (pic 3) - with farms. On my way home in the car, I stopped off at the western terminus of the Trans-Pennine Trail, at Southport. I had never seen this before but I found this to be quite a pleasant path, next to the dunes (and the main road, unfortunately) and I rode a few miles of this before it turned off into the Merseyside hinterland. Pics 4-6show giant weather vane, fishy scupture and NCR signing at the TPT terminus.

My other cycling in September has been documented elsewhere, mainly thanks to Peter. Let’s see what October will bring!

No comments: